Friday, February 5, 2010

WeekEnd!

The BIG news this week was Nate passing the written test for his driver's permit.  (and Jeff FAILING the first time!!  hee!)  We did just a little driving in the neighborhood around the DMV office before school - but the roads are pretty icy for a first time driver and I'm told the accelerator in the van is a little touchy.  (No.  It's not a Toyota, but does seem prone to sudden acceleration for 1st time drivers!)

Jeff & Alex picked Nate up after school today to "celebrate" with a trip to K-Mart.  They were having a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale on video games and Nate convinced Jeff to "Buy 1."  I'm pretty sure they were all glad I didn't go along to censor the choices. 

[Me to Jeff:  "Really?  You're really telling me Call of Duty will develop leadership skills?  These were educational choices?"]  I'm hearing the cries of delight - "ohhhh!"  "THIS IS SO COOL" - as I type.

Alex's High School registration was Thursday night.  Wow.  Last one to register for high school - he's pretty excited about it actually.  I think.  Sometimes it's hard to tell.  :-)  He has to make his final choices by next Friday. 

Next week is going to be musical craziness!  Jamie & Alex both have concerts Monday night at the same time.  So I just gave up - I'm going to Grand Forks for a Mary Kay event.  I'm volunteering at the FMAYS (Fargo-Moorhead Area Youth Symphony) office Tuesday afternoon. 

MIDORI is coming to town next week - she does two "residencies" a year and one of them for 2010 is Fargo/Moorhead!  Alex & the Youth Symphony will do a pops concert with her Thursday night (pizza party & rehearsal Wednesday night).  Jamie & Alex will both attend "Super String Day" at Horizon all day Saturday with a concert at 3.  She's also playing with the FM Symphony Orchestra Saturday evening and Sunday - but I'm pretty sure we'll be partied out by then!  I'm pretty sure my kids REALLY don't understand what a big deal it is, but I know they'll have a great time.

It's a big cello month for Alex:  the 8th grade orchestra regional outreach tour is the 18th & 19th.  They travel to rural schools that don't have orchestra programs - this is an overnight trip and they're pretty pumped about it.  The Youth Symphony also plays the National Anthem for the Fargo Force (hockey) game on the 21st.  We haven't been to a game yet - so that should be a fun evening all the way around.

Big Mary Kay next week, too - besides the Grand Forks event Monday, I have the regular Tuesday Night Live and the first of two "Chocolate Affairs" next Saturday morning.  Guests booked for all events so far so February is looking good. 

Julie says I never write about Jeff.  He forgot to study for the driver's test - you have to take a written test to get a license in Minnesota.  It proved to be a fatal mistake.  But he did retake it yesterday and passed.  He has his weights and workout stuff all set up in the family room downstairs and has been enjoying getting back in shape after the holidays.  He's still planning to go back to school in the Fall - he wants to teach Math.  (ugh)  He is doing an awesome job quietly supporting and encouraging us all in the most practical ways.  Driving, cooking, doing laundry, shoveling snow - playing video games.  ;-D

It's snowing.  Again.  It's Friday - so Jeff & I are heading out for a movie downtown at the Fargo Theatre.  It's an old restored 1930's era theater - I love going there.  We've been trying to see "Up in the Air" for about a month now so I'm glad we finally got a matinee that will work.  Maybe I'll get Jeff to write a review! 

Be cool and stay warm!  <3

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment