Friday, March 12, 2010

weekEnd

weather report:  gray, rainy, drizzly, wet.  And the river is on the rise.  The weather service is predicting a 10' rise on the Red in the next week - a pretty fast rise that will take us to "moderate" flooding.  Both cities have been preparing for pretty serious flood fights for the second year in a row.  Jeff is planning to take the boys to help fill sandbags tomorrow.


jamie left on her Symphony Orchestra trip yesterday afternoon.  The schedule was a pretty busy one but I did get a text msg this morning:  "I JUST WATCHED BALLERINAS AT THE ORCHESTRA CONCERT. Ask me about the animals and hula hoops when I get back..."  Can't wait to hear all about it!  I'll see if I can't get her to post her own blog post. 


With Jamie gone and Jeff to work early this morning, Nate "overslept" and didn't have to take the bus to school!  :-)  He's been pretty spoiled having his sister drive him to school every day.  He's very motivated to get his license this summer!  He & I practiced driving a couple afternoons this week.  He is going to be a very good driver.  Poor Nate had to deliver his papers in steady rain this week.  He was pretty soaked by the time he was done.  Of course, he's happy anytime it's above freezing.  Nate helped me prepare "Minestrone Hotdish" for supper Thursday night.  Nice mama/son time - he has always been so good at helping.  Even when he was very small.  I've always enjoyed anything I get to do side by side with Nathanael.  He is finished at school early this quarter - he doesn't have a last period class so he's done at 2.  Most days he finishes up his homework in the library and rides home with Jamie, but occasionally I get to pick him up early and enjoy a little time for just the two of us.  


Alex has diligently been staying after school this trimester for some extra help with Algebra (meh!).  He's making extra effort to stay organized and get assignments turned in on time, if you know what I mean.  I wish you could hear the song he has been composing on the laptop!  He has a program that allows him to layer multiple instruments.  He's been working on it for weeks now - and it's really quite impressive.  He is taking the Standard Gift to a birthday party tomorrow - Hollywood Video gift card & theater candy in a very cool microwave popcorn bucket.  It has been his "standard" for several years now - his friends actually look forward to receiving it and it has certainly made my life easier!  


Entertainment this week:  Jeff and I watched "Glee" online and found it so addicting we watched all of the available episodes and are looking forward to the show's return this spring!  Cute show - and of course we LOVE the music.  


We saw quite a few of the Academy award nominees before the Oscars, but we definitely renewed the "to see" list during the show Sunday night.  First on the list was "Precious," which we watched one rainy afternoon this week.  Devastating poverty, powerful redemption.  Gabourey Sidibe was really wonderful - can you imagine being nominated in the same category as Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren for your first role?  I'm looking forward to seeing her again.  As far as I'm concerned Mo'nique earned every bit of her Oscar - I haven't seen a character that has moved me so much in a very long time.  A warning (mom):  this is not a movie for sissies.  ;-)  


All kinds of birthdays this week!  We celebrated my mom, Ashlee, my dad and my niece.  I can't wait till Madeline gets our card!  hee.


What an absurdly long post - I'm so grateful to have so much to write about. Life is so brief and so remarkable.


<3


No comments:

Post a Comment